Cavities, cracks, or fractures in a tooth can be painful, but our dentists can help. After we remove the decay or repair the damage, we’re often able to rebuild your tooth’s structure with a tooth-colored filling made of a biocompatible, metal-free, composite resin. Composite fillings restore a tooth’s strength, prevent further damage, and blend in seamlessly with your smile. Thanks to our state-of-the-art technology and techniques, the process of getting a filling is painless and stress-free. To find out if your tooth can be restored with a durable composite filling, schedule a visit at Naperville Dental Specialists online or by calling us at (630) 848-2010.
What Happens When a Filling is Placed?
Your Naperville general dentist will begin the procedure by numbing your tooth and the surrounding area with a local anesthetic. They’ll carefully and gently remove any decay. The dentist will then clean, prime, and fill the space with a strong, aesthetic composite resin that’s matched to the color of your teeth. Using a curing light, they’ll harden the material before making final adjustments for the optimal fit and a comfortable bite. Lastly, the filling will be polished for a completely natural look. No one will be able to tell you’ve had a filling, and your tooth will function just as it did before you developed a cavity or fracture. With proper oral hygiene, tooth-colored fillings can last for many years.
The Benefits of Tooth-Colored Fillings
Composite fillings have a variety of benefits when compared to conventional fillings:
- The composite resin matches the color of your natural teeth, so there are no dark, metallic spots.
- The material is biocompatible, safe, and free of mercury and metal.
- Tooth-colored fillings are bonded directly to the tooth, helping to restore almost all of its original strength.
- We don’t need to remove as much of your tooth’s natural structure to place a composite filling.
- You’ll experience less sensitivity to hot and cold.
- If you develop decay under a tooth-colored filling, we’ll be able to detect it since the filling material doesn’t interfere with dental x-rays.
Give Your Tooth a New Lease on Life
If you think you have a cavity, schedule a visit with a Naperville general dentist right away. The sooner the issue is treated, the more likely it is that your tooth can be restored with a filling, allowing you to avoid more invasive procedures like a root canal or extraction. Book your appointment online or by calling us at (630) 848-2010.
Our tooth-colored fillings contain zero metal or mercury.
Composite fillings are up to 95% as strong as your natural teeth.
Fillings are the most common restorative dental procedure.