Beautiful, natural-looking, complete dentures can give you confidence when you smile. However, when they’re removable, there are often concerns about them slipping or even falling out or about eventual jawbone shrinkage. At Naperville Dental Specialists, we offer implant overdentures, which involves securing permanent dentures in place to help you avoid embarrassing moments, improve the function and look of your dentures and maintain your jawbone density.
How Implant Overdentures Work
With implant overdentures, Dr. LaVacca surgically places two to eight root forms with ball-shaped attachments in your jawbone. Sometimes, he also uses a retainer bar to join the implants and add stability. He then creates custom, lifelike dentures and after the jawbone heals around the root forms, you’ll try out the dentures to ensure they look amazing and fit perfectly. Once you’re happy with them, we’ll secure the dentures to the implants.
Pros and Cons of Implant Overdentures
- They’re less expensive than individual implants for all of your missing teeth, as the cost is per implant.
- You won’t have to worry about your dentures slipping or falling out.
- They prevent jawbone shrinkage.
- They’re more comfortable than removable dentures.
- You’ll be able to chew more efficiently than you would with removable dentures.
- They’re more expensive than removable dentures.
- You’ll wait several weeks for the jawbone to heal around the root forms before the dentures are secured to them. However, while you’re waiting, you’ll wear transitional dentures.