I’m wondering if you can give me a little insight on All on 4 implants. Last month I thought I had made up my mind about going to Mexico to get dental implants. I’ve been wearing full dentures for 25 years and I have been frustrated with them since I got them. For the past 5 years I’ve been saving for dental implants. Costs have risen so much that I’ve said just a little more than 50% of the cost to have all of my teeth replaced with implants. I don’t want to wait another 4 to 5 years before I receive implants. I found information about getting implants in different places. Mexico is the closest location. I learned that I can find U.S. trained dentists there and even some dentists who are actually from the U.S.
I told my dentist about my plan and she asked me to reconsider getting implants done here. She told me about All on 4, which isn’t really what I want. Of course my dentist has to refer me to someone else get them, which is probably why she didn’t tell me about it before. I’m just wondering why I would just choose 4 implants when I can get all of my teeth replaced in Mexico for not much more than the 4? Is this just a form of nationalism that dentists here have because they think they are superior? Thanks. Lax
Lax – Your dentist’s concern isn’t a form of nationalism. She wants the best for your oral health. There are many countries that offer dental implants, but Mexico is among the most dangerous choices for dental work. Why the high risk? Consider a few reasons:
- Quality and sterility requirements are not of the highest standard
- You will have little or no recourse if something goes wrong
- The government won’t require the dentist to correct any mistakes
- Prompt attention is needed if there are implications with your dental implants. Can you return quickly to the country for dental care?
Why All-On-4 Dental Implants Are a Good Alternative
All-On-4 dental implants require skill, precision, and experience to properly place and evenly balance. Although many dentists offer the procedure, only prosthodontists or implant dentists with advanced training can successfully perform this method of stabilizing your dentures. What are the benefits?
- Your dentures are secured with four dental implants
- Your appliance will have more stability and feel more like your natural teeth
- All-On-4 is a safer option than getting your implants from Mexico
- Although the success rate is high, if you do experience complications, you can quickly see your dentist
- The implants will still help to control facial sagging
Conduct an online search to find out which specialists in your area provide the All-On-4 procedure. We recommend that you schedule consultations with at least two specialists. Gather the following information:
- How long the dentist has been treating patients with All-On-4
- How many procedures he or she has completed
- What type of training the dentist received
- Ask to see before-and-after photos of the dentist’s actual patients
Compare your options, costs, and the results each dentist tells you to expect.
This post is sponsored by Naperville board-certified prosthodontist Dr. Anthony LaVacca.