Skip to main content

General dentist or prosthdontist needed?

By August 30, 2013November 30th, 2018Prosthodontist

What type of dentist does these things (bone graft for a hole in the gum due to bone loss, a dental implant, and crowns that look real)? Is my general dentist okay for this (I haven’t seen him in over a year since he told me I needed the work) or do I need a prosthodontist? – Naomi

Naomi – If your general dentist is also an implant dentist with skill in bone grafting, and if he is a cosmetic dentist, he can complete the work for you. Otherwise, he will have to refer you to a specialist.

A prosthodontist has post-graduate training specific to aesthetically restoring and replacing teeth. A prosthodontist can complete the graft, implant, and crown.

Whomever you chose for dental implants, be sure to check his or website or contact the office for details about the dentist’s experience and credentials.

This post is sponsored by Naperville implant dentist and board-certified prosthodontist Dr. Anthony LaVacca.

Close Menu