Dental implants are an extraordinary advance in dentistry and give patients a permanent, comfortable, attractive solution to missing teeth. Because dental implants integrate into the jawbone, they function just like regular teeth. Dentures can slip out of place and are often uncomfortable and a dental bridge involves altering adjacent healthy teeth, making implants a much better option. Our Naperville prosthodontist Dr. Anthony LaVacca has expertise in a variety of different types of dental implants, as well as techniques, in order to accommodate patients’ needs, goals and budget. Here are some of the choices you’ll find at Naperville Dental Specialists:
- Titanium Dental Implants – Titanium dental implants are crafted from durable titanium. The material is safe as long as you’re not allergic to the metal, though some people do have concerns about corrosion and galvanization, which we’ll get to shortly. Titanium implants are generally well tolerated and we can use them to replace one or more missing teeth. In fact, we can do full mouth restorations. After taking extensive diagnostic records and creating a personalized treatment plan for you, Dr. LaVacca surgically places the titanium implant into your jawbone where your missing tooth is. If you don’t have enough jaw bone density to support the implant, an additional procedure, known as a bone graft can be performed. Once the root form is in place, the implant fuses with your jawbone and it serves as the missing tooth’s root. After you heal following your dental implant surgery, we create a custom restoration that mimics the appearance of your natural tooth and attach it to the implant. No one will be able to tell it’s not your original tooth!
- Zirconia Dental Implants – Zirconia dental implants, sometimes called holistic implants or ceramic implants, are a metal-free alternative to titanium implants. While the procedure for getting a zirconia implant is the same as it is for getting a titanium implant, there are benefits to choosing zirconia. At Naperville Dental Specialists, we use Z-systems zirconia implants, which are more biocompatible than titanium, so there are no allergic reactions, no chemical leaching and your healing period can be shorter since they induce less of an inflammatory response. The material also resists plaque more effectively, leading to healthier gums and decreasing the chance of developing gum disease.
Our holistic dental implants aren’t just healthier, they also have a very low thermal conductivity, meaning you won’t feel hot and cold sensations like you can with other materials, making them more comfortable. They’re the most aesthetic option too. The tooth-colored material doesn’t create a gray line along the gums like titanium can. When paired with a ceramic crown, a zirconia dental implant will give you completely natural-looking, gorgeous results.
- Mini Implants – Because dentures don’t replace the root of the tooth, eventually, you can experience jawbone shrinkage and facial collapse. Yet, we understand standard dental implants may not be in your budget. That’s why we offer affordable dental implants that won’t break the bank but will still maintain your oral health and comfort. One such choice is mini implants. These small implants are approximately one-third of the diameter of a regular implant and they’re about half the cost. We surgically implant the root form into your jawbone and once the bone heals after your dental implant surgery, we snap custom dentures onto them. Though they’re not as secure as full-sized implants, they’re preferable to wearing removable dentures and you will be able to chew more effectively. They will also help preserve your bone and ward off facial collapse.
- Implant Overdentures – Implant overdentures are another option for affordable dental implants if you need to replace all of the teeth in one or both arches. Instead of placing an implant for every missing tooth, Dr. LaVacca places between two and eight implants that have ball-shaped attachments. If additional stability is needed, he can also join the implants with a retainer bar. Once you heal and the root form integrates with the jawbone, he’ll secure custom, lifelike dentures to the implants. They’re much more stable, secure and comfortable than removable dentures and since dental implant cost is on a per implant basis, it is cheaper than getting individual implants for your entire arch.
- All-on-4 Dental Implants – If you have low jawbone density, you could require a bone graft for dental implants, meaning we’d have to take bone from somewhere else in your body or use a bone grafting material to build up the jawbone in order to support the dental implant. Though bone grafting is necessary for some patients, it does increase the cost of your dental implant surgery and it adds an extra step. All-on-4 dental implants are an alternative way to replace all of the missing teeth in one or both arches without bone grafting. While you would typically surgically place an implant for each missing tooth, with All-on-4, we use just four angled and strategically-placed dental implants. The angle makes them more secure even if you have low jawbone density. After you heal, you’ll have your custom, permanent prosthesis placed. If you’re a candidate for immediate loading, we can place temporary dentures right away, allowing you leave the office with new teeth.
- Teeth-in-a-Day – Teeth-in-a-Day isn’t technically one of the different types of dental implants. The term actually refers to a technique. However, it is an option for patients who meet certain criteria, so we’re including it. Teeth-in-a-Day involves extensive diagnostics and treatment planning to create a surgical template, as well as create your permanent replacement teeth in advance. The benefit is that the procedure is so precise, we can complete dental implant surgery significantly faster. You also won’t have to wait months for your replacement teeth. Your dental implants and permanent replacement teeth are placed on the same day. The Teeth-in-a-Day cost is slightly higher than the cost of traditional dental implant surgery, however, you’ll have a gorgeous, functioning smile right away.
We offer a variety of different types of dental implants at Naperville Dental Specialists to ensure there is something for every smile and budget. To find out which option is right for you, schedule a consultation with our Naperville prosthodontist today! Book your visit online or by calling us at (630) 848-2010. For a limited time, you can also sign up for $500 off zirconia dental implants!